Brandon,

This reads a bit mysterious, but I think we
should probably have a look at the relevant
log file bits and maybe some of the configuration
files too (edit out sensitive data - probably isn't
too much of that though). I think most
Mandrake users on the list are using it as
desktops (with a few exceptions) so the
answer/fix might not pop immediately into
anyone's head.

Other information it would be good to know
is the version of Apache you are using
(1.3.22 is the most recent 1.3.x version) and
how you installed it (rpm, source, cvs,...),
along with anything special (like mod_perl,
PHP, *ASP,...). Snippets from the messages
log file, as well as the httpd log file, might be
useful from around httpd's 'time of death'.

If this is the Apache that came with Mandrake,
is there any information on the Mandrake web
site about this problem?

It is important to provide as much information
up front as possible because it demonstrates
that you've invested a significant amount of
time tracking the problem. It makes some kind
hearted admin think they're helping a frustrated
worker bee, and not just doing some non-
RTFM-ing lazy person's footwork.

Now, if you don't know exactly what information
you should be providing to solve this problem,
that is a excellent question to ask. I say this
because people don't mind clicking over a few
K of text about a problem, but list users might
get angry if they have to download a multi-
megabyte log file.

For kicks you might put a cron job in
that retrieves a page every day using
'lynx' (man lynx) to see if that matters.

Good luck,

Troy

>>> bhenak at att.net 12/11/01 12:44PM >>>
Hello-
I am a senior student at the Academy of Holy Angels
in Richfield we I am currently setting up a Linux
web/FTP sever and hope to configure it to interact
with school databases through ASP (Possibly with
Chilisoft) I have been designing web pages for 6
years and along the way was the webmaster for
macobsession.com and MacFare a weekly Apple
related webcast. I gained the little experience I have
in ASP and corporate networks through a full time I.T.
internship at TCF Leasing Headquaters I.T.
department over the summer. Thanks in advance for
any help you can provide. My current trouble involves
my server automatically shutting down the apache
server.  It may be directly involved with the fact that it
is currently still in the test phase and get very little
traffic.  Linux does not actually shut down or freeze
up just the server.  Either by coincedence or cause
the shutdown happens after 1-2 days of inactivity. I
check the logs and after 1-2 days of no traffic a line
saying that SIGTERM or something to that effect is
displayed and there are no more entries.  Any ideas?

AMD 450
190 Mb Ram
2Gb Hard Drive
Mandrake-Linux 7.2