I was at the Installfest trying to get SAMBA to work between 2 machines, one
Linux, one Windows98. Thank you to everyone who helped.  I haven't seen that
level of spontaneous cooperation and support in decades, if ever.

We got some kind of networking to work momentarily, then all networking died
on the Windows PC. Does anyone know what would cause this to happen, yet the
network card settings on the windoze pc says it's up and running fine? I
swapped network cards, I tried different patch cables, including crossover
cables (yes they were from Belkin, that is the only brand the store
carries), but no networking.

 I connected Linux Samba server to another Windows 98 machine over a network
configured to run shares, instead of domain, and everything seems to work
"fine" (I can grab files from the win98 machine to the Linux machine, but I
can't connect the other way). I point this out to illustrate that the
problem isn't the Linux machine.

Any suggestions?

Marc

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com