At 10:44 AM 12/4/01 -0600, Jason wrote:
> Anyone have much luck getting a linux box to recieve syslog messages? I set
> syslog remote <server ip> and set syslog enable but when I try set syslog
> test lame message I never see it in my log files. I am guessing I am missing
> the suffix in my syslog.conf. So if some one can give me some clues that
> would be great.

 Well, I don't know about 678's, but I have it working great on three
675's.  The main important trick is that syslogd on the destination box
has to be started with the -r (remote?) flag, otherwise it won't listen on
udp/514, which is where the Cisco is attempting to send data to (at least,
by default).  As far as I know, most syslogd's aren't set -r
out-of-the-box, so you have to make this change.
 As for syslog.conf, I didn't have a problem with the original
configuration.

 Hope this helps.

     Jima