I need to vent....

Got a couple hundred(!) spam mail from hotmail.com today. So, I gathered all the
the spam and put into my junk folder.

I then contacted abuse at hotmail.com and professionally and calmly asked them to
stop this user from spamming myself and Real Time's networks. I attached 2
messages with full headers with the explicit label -sample- of the spam and I
could send a complete report if more info was needed.

To my surprise I got a response from a human! (yes I still got the auto-response
thing that is useless too). The curtly informed me that 2 messages does not
constitute a spamming.

Hmmm... I thought, you are right, -1- message is a spam! But I bit my lip,
getting a human to respond from hotmail is rare and I didn't want to blow the
potential that someone actually cares about spam.

So I responding, say that was a sample of the spam, and to find a complete
listing of with headers of -all- the messages. I attached each of the 573(!)
messages as attachments (this is important).

I do this so 1 message can contact all the evidence of spam and you can just
view the attachments. This is how I personally like to get complaints to
abuse at real-time.com.

What do I get back? The little prick tells me -not- to spam him! Ok, I've been
an admin long enough to know =not= to pound the reply key and vent. But it's
ironic. He tells me 2 messages are not spamming. I send 1 message (ok with 573
attachments) -but- still 1 message and it's spam.

I chilled out a couple of hours. Apologized(!) and said I would just like to
work through the problem and resolve the issue. I'm talking to a human after all
and it's a rare blah... blah... blah...

What does he tell me? The message all have forged headers. Oh, boy. Like I
cannot read an SMTP header to see that it's -not- forged. Damn! I just want to
black-hole all of hotmail.com.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500