Well, you do still need to use telnet for some things, but most cisco
routers support ssh now if you grab the newer IOS's, and the PIX supports it
too (but not in a redundant PIX setup last I checked).  For those devices
that don't do ssh, but have IPSec, you can configure an IPSec policy between
the device and the hosts you connect to it from.  Another good measure is to
set up the devices to use RADIUS and use an RSA AceServer/SecureID setup for
one time passwords.

Jay