-- Adam Wolkoff <awolkoff at visi.com> wrote:
> mount: block device /dev/cdrom2 is write protected, mounting read
> only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/cdrom2, or
> too many
> mounted file systems

        I've seen this error before--when I recompiled the kernel once, I
forgot that my ATAPI Zip drive (the internal kind) needed some sort of SCSI
emulation support. Result: the exact above error. Now, on a stock kernel, I
would imagine that all such things would be taken care of, so my first
guess would be that a module isn't being loaded. I don't know which module
would be required for a CD-RW, but for the Zip drive, scsi_mod and ide-scsi
take care of things.
        Try the following command from a terminal:
        'lsmod | grep scsi' - lsmod lists the loaded kernel modules, grep
finds the ones containing the word scsi. If you don't see anything, or only
scsi_mod, do the following:
        'modprobe scsi_mod' - If scsi-mod did not appear
        'modprobe ide-scsi' - If ide-scsi did not appear
Then try to mount your CD. Again, I'm taking a wild shot in the dark, but
that's my guess. Tell me what happens.
        :Peter