On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 02:32:47PM -0500, Brian wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > You should consider Western Digital as well.  Often, a particular model of
> > Western Digital is the SAME drive that you get when you buy an IBM drive.  I
> > am not sure what sort of deal they have, but it seems there is a bit of
> > overlap with respect to hardware between IBM and Western Digital.  I think
> > the overlap is the WD Caviar drives.  I have been using these and they seem
> > to run forever (knock on wood).
>
> That's odd, I've never heard of this before.  I've had more than my share
> of bad WD drives so I instantly cringe at the thought of putting a WD in
> my machine.  Is this pretty standard among drive models (model #241-34520
> or whatever will always be an IBM) or is it kind of random? ("hey Bob,
> what are we putting in here THIS week?")

I have seen this in Arizona, at "Fry's Electronics": they have long tables
with mobos, harddrives, videoboards... etc. As the harddrives were sorted
by capacity you can see oddities like that: two identical hdds, one with
IBM label and the other with WD label. Not the same price though, the IBM was
almost a few $ more.

An interesting thing to note is that in benchmarks two "identical" drives
from WD and IBM will yield different performance (and not allways IBM on
top) - meaning that there are at least some firmware differences.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, is because you are not fixing it enough."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4