> That's odd, I've never heard of this before.  I've had more than my share
> of bad WD drives so I instantly cringe at the thought of putting a WD in
> my machine.  Is this pretty standard among drive models (model #241-34520
> or whatever will always be an IBM) or is it kind of random? ("hey Bob,
> what are we putting in here THIS week?")

No, only some of the models.  I am not sure which.  I do know the top end
IBM models are NOT Western Digital (or the other way around).

I have had a 6.4 Gig UDMA33 5400 RPM drive running nearly non-stop (and in
three different computers) for the better part of 4 years.  Thing is serving
up MP3 files on my home LAN via a Samba file share on my FreeBSD box.  My
wife loves it.  Sad, I use 4 Gigs for MP3 and it is not enough.  Thank God
Napster is gone.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net