> You should consider Western Digital as well.  Often, a particular model of
> Western Digital is the SAME drive that you get when you buy an IBM drive.  I
> am not sure what sort of deal they have, but it seems there is a bit of
> overlap with respect to hardware between IBM and Western Digital.  I think
> the overlap is the WD Caviar drives.  I have been using these and they seem
> to run forever (knock on wood).
What I do know is that most of the 'smart' mechanisms in hard drives are not made by any of the hard drive manufacturers. There are a
few companies one of which is town, that make the heads and other tiny little things inside your favorite drives. So the difference
in a drive that seems identical for two different manufactures may have the brains made at differents fabs.
I have to agree that scsi is good, but it is on its way out.
IDE is where is R&D $ is. IDE raid is already a reality.
The only thing that scsi has going for it at this point is multi-threading. And I believe the i/o controllers on the boards with IDE raid
operate very simularly to scsi. who really wants a small computer system interface anyway?

that is my opinion

--
    SpencerUnderground
||mailto:spencer at sihope.com||