On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 10:30:12AM +0000, Rick Engebretson wrote:
> The Windows version (Delphi) and the Linux version (Kylix) use different
> libraries. Windows uses VCL (Visual Component Libraries), Linux uses CLX,
> Windows uses *.dll runtime libraries, Linux uses *.so runtime libraries.
> These libraries are simply the precoded tools that allow your program to
> access the operating system's programming interface. So, of course they
> are different for different operating systems.

Good points and entirely correct.

> Delphi 6 advertises itself as Kylix compatible. I haven't seen it so I
> don't know what that means. But with the modern IDE being so full of
> wizards, it would seem quite possible to automatically convert source
> code to one or the other or both operating systems.

No wizards or conversion required.  According to all that has been said,
Delphi and Kylix are nearly-100% source compatible.  Just write the
code in one, load it in the other, and compile.  (Of course, this is
much easier to do when, like Borland, you have full control of the
language...)

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox