Dave,

> > The Windows version (Delphi) and the Linux version (Kylix) use
> different
> > libraries. Windows uses VCL (Visual Component Libraries), Linux
> uses CLX,
> > Windows uses *.dll runtime libraries, Linux uses *.so runtime
> libraries.
> > These libraries are simply the precoded tools that allow your
> program to

I think I know what you mean but I would like to clarify your statment.

Delphi uses CLX or VCL.  Kylix just uses CLX.  VCL is the original name for
the Delphi class library.  CLX is the name of the cross-platform library.
The two libraries are identical in many places, and in most others are very
similar.  Yes, VCL was designed to make use of the Windows API and so for
example Delphi "Standard" controls are "Standard" Windows controls, wrapped
by the VCL.  Many other classes exist however which do NOT depend on Windows
although many do.  CLX uses QT in the same way VCL uses Windows API.  CLX
"Standard" controls wrap the QT widget library controls.  QT presents
interfaces which are similar to VCL and those similarities are one reason
Borland chose to build CLX on QT.  The reason CLX is cross-platform is
because wherever QT goes, CLX goes.  QT is currently available on several
platforms "including but not limited to Microsoft Windows 95/98/2000,
Microsoft Windows NT, MacOS X, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64 (Digital UNIX),
Irix, FreeBSD, BSD/OS, SCO and AIX".

The VCL and CLX are libraries supplied by Borland but just to clarify the
VCL is not a .dll.  You have the VCL and CLX source which you link and
compile into your executables.  The source code for VCL and CLX comes with
Delphi.  Kylix ships with CLX source files.

Mark