Whoops, I was being semantically sloppy.  I was using joystick as
a generic term for a input device for gaming.  I should have said
I was thinking of getting a gamepad like the one's that come with
a Nintendo 64.

These seem much more in tune with my body.  I guess the coupling of
my shoulder-elbow-wrist with a vertically standing joystick roughly
at chest level seems pretty mechanically constrained compared to my
two thumbs on joysticks or rocker pads.  I also think the inertia
of using your whole arm as opposed to your thumbs comes into play.

Oh man, I'm doing bad engineering speak when writing about joysticks.
It comes from playing games sober with my son instead of playing
drunk with my buddies.  My brother used to play space invaders with
his toes and an atari joystick.  It was pretty entertaining seeing
him sitting apparently motionless with his feet hidden under the
desk while space invaders automagically played in front of him...