I don't think the Wingman Extreme D3D is really that big of a
footprint.  Compared to the MS Sindwinder FF, it's rather quite small.
Though I do agree with you that the bigger the base, the less attractive
it is to me in desktop space.

Personally, I'm not that big of a fan of FF joysticks.

I don't recall N64 having a joystick.  Is that just a single/dual button
joystick?  Or more along the lines of a game pad with a control stick
instead of the movement buttons?