On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Shawn wrote:

> Internal SCSI CD-RW burner-  No IDE drive for me.  I've had bad luck
> with the IDE burners, and want to stay SCSI.  Though, I can't find any
> locally, the stores look at me funny when I mention that I'm looking for
> one.  Downside is that I can't port it around as easily as I can with a
> laptop.
>

> Anyone have good recommendations on these or other?  I'm also looking at
> getting a tape backup.  I've been looking  at the VXA systems, anyone
> have experience with these things?  Or is there a comparable unit out
> there that doesn't cost $900 for a 66GB BU system?

Unless the portability is a really big issue for you, I'd go tried and
true, SCSI all the way.  I can't help you too much with makes and models,
but I'd add that when Sony stopped making the 900e (this was a $7000
industrial model) some of my old mastering colleagues found a couple of
the Yamaha burners to be almost worthy substitutes.

For commodity burners, I dunno.  We all know SCSI is SCSI is SCSI,
right? :)

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous