On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:47:48PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
>Well, it's true that there isn't any hardware YET that is going to support
>it, but apparently the Archos (http://www.archos.com) mp3 player will
>support it, and you can buy it at Microcenter.  And I found something awhile
>back which was a CD changer replacement, you just keep your deck in your
>car, and it emulates your cd changer, but contains a removable 2.5"
>harddrive full of MP3's, I talked to them and they said it would eventually
>support Vorbis.

Now you're talking.

>The problem is, Vorbis is still in Beta, so no company will adopt it until
>it hits version 1.0.  Plus, not many people are using it yet, so there
>really isn't much demand for it yet.  I don't have any portable players, so
>I don't use MP3 if I don't have to.  Hopefully people will realize it's
>better and start using it, but a big turnoff is the fact that it takes
>awhile to encode a song with it, when you can grab Xing's crappy encoder and
>burn one in about 10 seconds.

See, i maybe didn't word it as nicely my intent was not to put vorbis or the
concept of something new down. As standard is only a standard when it's
accepted and used by the masses. And right now, vorbis is not. It doesn't
sound any better (to me, maybe it was too much time on the M-60 range when I
was an infantryman) and it didn't save me that much space (1 MB for a CD) and,
xmms lags a bit when loading them and sometimes doesn't like to seek without
segfaulting.

Compund this with the lack of supporting hardware....

It's a tough thing for me to convince myself to switch to.

>> > That's exactly the attitude that will make Ogg Vorbis fail.
>>
>> > Where would Linux be if everyone said "Give me some stuff that uses
>> > Linux and I'll switch"?

Take atheos? Would you switch to that? No, cause it's not very well supported.
The fact is, it's taken linux a long time to get this far and when I started
with it, there weren't alot of alternatives.

--
Ben Lutgens		cell: 612.670.4789
Sistina Software Inc.	work: 612.379.3951

$chown -R us.us yourbase