>From: HOEFFNER at dcmir.med.umn.edu
>To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
>CC: HOEFFNER at dcmir.med.umn.edu
>Subject: [TCLUG] WIN98
>Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:36:25 -0500
>
>Hi
>
>I have a prof that would like me to install RH on his machine and I'm
>hoping
>some of you guru types can point out the pitfalls before I fall into them
>as
>I'd rather get this one right the first time and not have him breathing
>down my
>neck while recovering from all the stupid mistakes I'm sure I'll make.
>
>The box is a Dell Dimension XPS P800R running Win98. It says family 6, so I
>assume this means a 686 PIII. Nvidia GeForce 256 AGP and a P1110 monitor.
>there's only 1 disk on it (Maxtor 5 4098H8) with one partition on that --
>36G.
>
>As I'm sure you can tell, I'm learning Windows slowly (as possible!) as
>I've
>managed to avoid it for quite a while. All the machines that I've installed
>onto so far have been NT with 2 separate disks on which I managed to keep
>the 2
>OS's at the front of the 2 disks. The first problem I see is the
>repartitioning
>of the disk. Fdisk I assume, but what will this do to the OS? Reinstall I
>suppose.
>
>Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
>Ed Hoeffner
>1-271 BSBE
>312 Church St. SE
>Mpls, MN 55455
>hoeffner at dcmir.med.umn.edu
>612-625-2115
>612-625-2163 fax

I believe there is a DOS program called fips that you can use to rewrite the
FAT and create a second partition without destroying Win98. Depending on
what version of RH you're using, you can just use diskdruid to create the
ext2 partitions. It's much easier than fdisk and still gets the job done.
Your question wasn't entirely clear to me, so please pardon my infinite
density if I didn't answer it.

The Fishy One's Infinite Wisdom #28: "Life is anything that dies when you
stomp on it."