On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu wrote:

> > > Who's going to admin an S390, though?  Does Real Time have any mainframe
> > > admins?
> >
> > Mainframe, Linux, NT is there a difference? :-)
> >
> > Carl can jump in here, but from the presentation on the S390 it seems like there
> > is going to be a web(?) interface to the 390 so you just point-n-click.
> >

> Won't someone need to be experienced in OS/390 to partition the mainframe?
> If there is a web interface, that's very cool, however.

Hey, I just want to bring up a point that's been on my mind lately.  I'm
certainly not picking on Gabe or anyone else here.

It really bugs me that HR depts ask computer people, "Do you know
Java?  Do you know C?  Do you know AIX?  Do you know Y?  Do you know Z?"

This is awfully like asking a carpenter, "Do you know screwdriver?  Do you
know hammer?  Do you know radial arm saw?"  I certainly understand wanting
to find the people most qualfied for a given situation, but please!  What
happened to the idea of an *educated* person, who has the background to
hit the ground running in whatever situation in a broad field in which
they find themselves?

We all know, being those sorts of folks (for the most part, anyway), that
the world runs on, "Here, wait, let me try something..." anyway!

I just think that it's bad enough when HR droids do it to us.  Do we
really need to encourage it ourselves??  An OS is an OS, for the most
part.  You dink till it works -- but if you have to dink more than a
certain amount, let someone else try.  I don't think Bob's central coop
idea is trying to be ISO certified or anything!

Let's just learn as we go, if necessary!

Another County Heard From,

Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous