Bob overworks me so I don't have time to read TCLUG mail much anymore. ;>
sorry about the slow reply to this.

> Carl can jump in here, but from the presentation on the S390 it seems like there
> is going to be a web(?) interface to the 390 so you just point-n-click.

from what I heard, middle of last year; IBM's Virtual Image Facility for
Linux (VIF) will be an idiot-administerable, crippled version of the VM
operating system. it'll be administered through a linux virtual machine
running a web interface. (sounds a bit reminiscent of the NetMax line of
products).

the main advantage of VIF over VM will be cost; it's only a one-time fee of
$20,000 instead of $12,000/yr*(some factor involving processor power or
number of processors).
(those figures are highly approximate so don't sue me if I'm wrong).

VIF doesn't give you all the capabilities of VM; like being able to stop
virtual machines, examine or modify the live registers in them, then start
them off again; or other advanced debugging and accounting features.
However, it's cheap and cheerful; which have historically been good sellers;
it just remains to be seen if it's cheap and cheerful *enough*.

still, if Real-Time gets one of these things; I'm going to be first in line
to learn how to hack on it (of course, Bob will be zeroth in line... RHIP).
:)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer