I am familiar enough with all the facets of my system to not rely on the
kernel packages, the nvidia packages etc. which I personally see as not a
necessity, but a convenience for those who don't want/know to do so by hand.
Personaly, I hate lilo, but I'm all about grub, a fresh kernel.org
kernel/patch and "make"ing it. That's part of my satisfaction in using
linux, is doing it by hand, maybe I'm to *old school* (phhhh yeah right!) but
the debian kernel packages annoy me. I'm going back to slackware when 7.2 is
released.. I love slackware.. What a nice clean distro..
Thanks,
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator