Do you have any specific examples as to why the Debian Kernel Source Packages and
the Debian nVidia Source Packages are flawed?

I have always found Debian source package installations to be a very clean way to
mange software on a system. You get the power and control of compling the source
yourself with any modifications or options you want and the
dependency/confliction resolutions of debian package management.

In a follow up email I stated that I got everything working, I had just forgot to
put a directory into /etc/ld.so.conf (the directory containing the nvidia libGL).
The other files that you stated do not need to be purged from the system. They
just need to come after the ones you want in the library search path. Should I
ever remove my nvidia card and replace with a Matrox or other opengl capable
card, I will be glad I didnt purge my system of these files.

Thank you very much for responding to my problem. I would have definately tried
your suggestions if the problem was still plaguing me.