On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Cook, Justin S. wrote:

> I'm having a small problem. My school(Winona State) is running their
> network with DHCP. Now, I log on to my linux laptop, do a good ole
> 'dhcpcd -d &' and eth0 comes up, i'm happy, until i find there is not
> inet address set...

Take a look at pump.  I've found it to be a bit more cooperative than
dhcpcd.

Now, I realize not everyone runs Red Hat, but it does come with the later
distributions:

# rpm -qi pump
Name        : pump                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.7.8                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Tue 15 Feb 2000
04:12:40 PM EST
Install date: Mon 24 Jul 2000 02:37:04 PM EDT      Build
Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source
RPM: pump-0.7.8-1.src.rpm
Size        : 83582                            License: MIT
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A Bootp and DHCP client for automatic IP configuration.
Description :
DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) and BOOTP (Boot Protocol)
are protocols which allow individual devices on an IP network to get
their own network configuration information (IP address, subnetmask,
broadcast address, etc.) from network servers.  The overall purpose of
DHCP and BOOTP is to make it easier to administer a large network.

Pump is a combined BOOTP and DHCP client daemon, which allows your
machine to retrieve configuration information from a server.  You
should install this package if you are on a network which uses BOOTP
or DHCP.

--
Chuck Milam
chuck at milams.net