Well, I consider that box to be low/mid-range for a server.

I figure that by the time that server is swamped (It'll be running
both PostgreSQL 7.0.2 and PHP 4.0.2/Optimizer, I can afford
to buy a mid-range server (like SPARC/Solaris).

A machine like that would provide some considerable oomph,
as the the ServerWorks Chipset (used by most OEMs for their
Intel servers) helps with Intel's greatest problem - memory bandwidth.

According to Sun, an E250 with:
1 400MHz UltraSPARC
512MB memory
1 18GB SCSI 10000RPM disk
Fast Ethernet
Redundant Power Supply
No video card

That would run me $15,000.

I still would need another disk or two, plus a license for one of the
two RAID solutions (non-hardware), or need to purchase some
kind of RAID solution.

Would that be a faster machine than the one I can make for $3500?

Even if it is, is it worth the 400% price differential?

Nick Reinking

jethro at freakzilla.com, on 09/19/2000 03:46:32 PM