The only good thing intel has going for them is price.  If you want
expandability, just plan on being able to throw a few more boxes into the
load balancing pool when you get big enough to warrant more horsepower.
You want reliability?  I bet it would be far cheaper to assemble two
identical mid-range machines and have one sit around as a hot standby.  A
simple shell script to have it check the other machine and assume it's IP
address if there's a problem would be pretty simple.

Even with that configuration you still have multiple single points of
failure (motherboard, NIC, cabling).  You'd be far better off getting 2
smaller machines and finding some way to have one mirror and monitor the
other.  That way everything in Box A you have in Box B, if there's a
hardware problem in A you just fall back to B. You can lose anything in A
and still be able to have your site going.

And with those 2 machines you still have a good build-out process for when
you get bigger.  You have Box B doing backups so it doesn't suck CPU off
Box A needlessly.  Maybe a little later you move the RAID over to B and
keep A just doing www, or maybe have A do www but B does database stuff,
you get the idea.

Eventually you'll get to the point where you can't split services off to
another box anymore and you'll need to move to some sort of load
balancing.

There's no intel machine that's powerful enough to be able to serve your
site off of 1 server forever, so why bother trying to do it?  The
intel philosophy is when you start seeing bottlenecks you just throw some
more cheap machines at it.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications