On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 09:33:12PM -0500, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> I'd like to begin putting my lecture notes and overhead projector
> transparencies in electronic format. I wonder if someone has a quick
> recommendation.
>
> Whatever method, I'm planning on writing in plain text for maximum
> compatibility. That suggests something like vim/emacs + one of the 'roffs,
> TeX, LaTeX/LyX, SGML, XML, HTML... I've got some experience with DocBook,
> but I don't think that will really fit the bill. If I did use DocBook, I
> would have to do a lot of work on my own custom stylesheet.

I'll echo what others have said.  LaTeX if you need a lot of math,
otherwise I'd go with html.  I use Vim/LateX, though I've played
with Lyx a little.  I use the seminar document class for making
overheads - it has a few extra frills like boxes around the edge
of the slide, but nothing too fancy.  The nice thing about LaTeX
is that it is pretty easy to transform to many different formats -
ps, pdf, html, etc.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |