Jim Crumley allegedly wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 09:33:12PM -0500, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> > I'd like to begin putting my lecture notes and overhead projector
> > transparencies in electronic format. I wonder if someone has a quick
> > recommendation.
> >
> > Whatever method, I'm planning on writing in plain text for maximum
> > compatibility. That suggests something like vim/emacs + one of the 'roffs,
> > TeX, LaTeX/LyX, SGML, XML, HTML... I've got some experience with DocBook,
> > but I don't think that will really fit the bill. If I did use DocBook, I
> > would have to do a lot of work on my own custom stylesheet.
>
> I'll echo what others have said.  LaTeX if you need a lot of math,
> otherwise I'd go with html.  I use Vim/LateX, though I've played
> with Lyx a little.  I use the seminar document class for making
> overheads - it has a few extra frills like boxes around the edge
> of the slide, but nothing too fancy.  The nice thing about LaTeX
> is that it is pretty easy to transform to many different formats -
> ps, pdf, html, etc.

... and the bad thing about LaTeX is that, well, it's TeX.  ;^l

Lately I've been writing stuff in the StarOffice format.  The presentation
package is not all that great, but it will create a website rather nicely.
And it does graphics quite well.

There is some mathematical capability beyond just fonts, FYI.

It is in any case another option.

Adios,
Chris
--
C.S. Cornuelle
School of Mathematics/MCIM, University of Minnesota
(612) 626-8930v, (612) 624-2333f, bob at math.umn.edu
Ferventer Vestite