You don't say what your subject is, but as an earlier respondent
suggested, TeX is pretty much all there is for math.  None of the
others works well with equations (as for Microsoft Equation Editor, as
they say on Car Talk, "Don't get me started!").

If you want transparencies, the right thing would probably be to use
SliTeX.

That said, I'm afraid it's not a pleasant experience, at least not
until you get used to it.

On the other hand, if what you want is mostly text, the game is much
easier.  You could probably use one of the WYSIWYG editors that dumps
HTML (I hear there's one in StarOffice, but have never used it), and
then extract the text in a post-process later.

Best,