On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> <rant class=OT>
> While I have the floor I'll take this opportunity to say that almost no
> high school physics student will ever see TeX in their academic careers.
> Even those in the most advanced high school courses rarely get to the level
> in college science or math that would ever expose them to TeX. The
> recognition that most students taking high school physics will never take
> another physics course *should* make a difference in the way h.s. physics is
> taught.
> </rant>

What are you saying?  That most H.S. physics students are losers?  That we
don't teach enough physics?  That not enough people use TeX? ;-)

Certainly there's sense in teaching adaptively for the students.  But I
just got puzzled because your argument started to sound a little like the
"Why do I have to learn something if I'm not going to use it
directly?" question.  Sure, you don't want to try to teach a pig to sing,
but there's a difference between a "trained" person and an
"educated" person.  That's far enough OT -- I'm just not clear what
sentiment your expressing -- it's probably not even one I've mentioned!

(Happy to discuss off list..)

Phil M

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math