This isn't something I've done myself, but what about having the scripts
dump the output to xml, where you can include the printer specifications,
or at least printing specifications in the report? then you wouldn't have
to go through two conversions, and you could include output specs for
online or print media?

Liz Burke-Scovill

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Ben Kochie wrote:

> hrm.. you could write some perl scripts to output html.. and use an
> html->ps converter.. or html->pdf. (or as carl says.. sgml :)
> there are also a few crystal style report writers out there for unix.. tho
> they are very expensive.. couple thousand.. but they have direct db access
> for a lot of big ones.. like oracle or sybase so you don't have to use
> ODBC
>
> Thank You,
>         Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)
>
> *-----------------------*  [ - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - ]
> | Unix/Linux Consulting |  [ Haiku Error Message:          ]
> |  PC/Mac Repair        |  [  Chaos reigns within.         ]
> |   Networking          |  [  Reflect, repent, and reboot. ]
> | http://nerp.net       |  [  Order shall return.          ]
> *-----------------------*  [ - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - ]
>
>  "Unix is user friendly, Its just picky about its friends."
>
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
> > This is a problem I have been struggling with for some time.
> >
> > Many productivity appplications are moving to the web, but the single biggest
> > problem I can see is printing.
> >
> > Sure, you can have great looking html, but when you print it from the browser,
> > it just sucks.
> >
> > Many applications store their data in a database, but as LDAP get more press,
> > many thing in a database might (should?) move to LDAP.
> >
> > Are there any open source tools that will help you write reports using a
> > database or directory server as a data repository?
> >
> > Ideally, you could save the reports as pdf, since that seems to be universal
> > enough.
> >
> > --
> > Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700
> > http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (612)943-8500
> > Key fingerprint =  6C E9 51 4F D5 3E 4C 66 62 A9 10 E5 35 85 39 D9

Imagination is intelligence having fun...
e-mail:  kethry at winternet.com