On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Liz Burke-Scovill wrote:

> This isn't something I've done myself, but what about having the scripts
> dump the output to xml, where you can include the printer specifications,
> or at least printing specifications in the report? then you wouldn't have
> to go through two conversions, and you could include output specs for
> online or print media?

er - um...online and/or print media.....

> > > Many applications store their data in a database, but as LDAP get more press,
> > > many thing in a database might (should?) move to LDAP.

Or at least be searchable via LDAP, again something I'm only now getting
into, and i don't understand it fully - but if you have an LDAP server set
up, you could run queries against the directory server, which would then
pull info from the data sources themselves - regardless of which server
they're on. In other words, my understanding is that the data repository
is not on the directory server itself, but rather that the directory
server is the means by which that data repository is accesible, regardless
of it's structure (ie., Oracle, MySQL, etc)...that way your information
doesn't get duplicated, increasing the possibility of loss of data
integrity, etc...With perl's DBI module allowing access to most types of
data sources out there, you stand to have an incredible reporting
application there - especially if it's robust enough to handle both online
and print viewing....

I echo the other person that said it earlier, if only I'd had more time!!!

Liz Burke-Scovill

--
Imagination is intelligence having fun...
e-mail:  kethry at winternet.com