hrm.. you could write some perl scripts to output html.. and use an
html->ps converter.. or html->pdf. (or as carl says.. sgml :)
there are also a few crystal style report writers out there for unix.. tho
they are very expensive.. couple thousand.. but they have direct db access
for a lot of big ones.. like oracle or sybase so you don't have to use
ODBC

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)