> That's a bit of a drive from Ohio. ;)  I joined the list during the SGI
> fiasco and stayed on cause it has to be one of the better LUGs I've seen.

Oh c'mon, only 13 hours!

>> Actually they have always called the free version an "evaluation" version
>> since the 5.2 days. Its the same as the for sale version except it
>> doesn't have the 1500+ rpms of extra software.

> That doesn't seem to be quite the case any longer.  It didn't offer
> anything about partitioning the drive or even formatting a partition.  It
> only saw that there was some space on the windows partition and installed
> some big files (ala BeOS).  A core file, a home file and a swap file.  It
> would seem the evaluation version runs from these files and that's all
> there is to it.

That's quite a beparture from doing umsdos. Guess it works, mount some drive
images, off you go. No repartioning necissary. Don't like it, boot back to
windows and wipe the files. Not a bad idea for new users, might get a bit
better performance compared to umsdos too. I would hope that you just missed
an option, I'd like to have a chice in the matter.

> I'm burning the 3 CDs of the new Debian now.  ;)

Excellent. But, why does everyone think they need CDs? 3 to 5 floppies is
all you really need. You don't even need floppies if you have a windows
partition to store the root and driver disks on. The Debian installer is
much imporved, no more 13 disks needed to install the base. Once your
network connection is going, it can fetch the base, and kick you into
tasksel or dselect (or just apt it all!)

I suppose if you are on a modem there are definite advantages if your on a
modem, then again ask dieman how long it takes to install Debian on a 14.4!
=) (didn't yo install FreeBSD off a 14.4 as well?)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX:132)
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126