> > That doesn't seem to be quite the case any longer.  It didn't offer
> > anything about partitioning the drive or even formatting a partition.  It
> > only saw that there was some space on the windows partition and installed
> > some big files (ala BeOS).  A core file, a home file and a swap file.  It
> > would seem the evaluation version runs from these files and that's all
> > there is to it.
>
> That's quite a beparture from doing umsdos. Guess it works, mount some drive
> images, off you go. No repartioning necissary. Don't like it, boot back to
> windows and wipe the files. Not a bad idea for new users, might get a bit
> better performance compared to umsdos too. I would hope that you just missed
> an option, I'd like to have a chice in the matter.

I don't think I missed an option... it just did it that way.  In fact the
files got created without it asking me a single thing.  The only option I
had was to set up accounts and X.  Well, ok, I got to pick a time zone
too.

I have a nice empty partition that was begging for ReiserFS.  Oh well,
Debian it is I guess.

> Excellent. But, why does everyone think they need CDs? 3 to 5 floppies is
> all you really need. You don't even need floppies if you have a windows
> partition to store the root and driver disks on. The Debian installer is
> much imporved, no more 13 disks needed to install the base. Once your
> network connection is going, it can fetch the base, and kick you into
> tasksel or dselect (or just apt it all!)
>
> I suppose if you are on a modem there are definite advantages if your on a
> modem, then again ask dieman how long it takes to install Debian on a 14.4!
> =) (didn't yo install FreeBSD off a 14.4 as well?)

I've got DSL but I'm impatient... I look at it like:  I can start ncftp in
a background download of the ISO on the gateway box, shut off my
laptop and go to bed.  Then I burn 'em to a few CDRWs and if it sucks, I
can reuse the disks.  RH7 was on CDRWs ;)

Plus I feel better if I have some kind of media with the OS on it.  But
that's probably just post traumatic stress disorder from using windoze.

Charlie