I have an IBM ThinkPad 390X running linux and have been very pleased with
it.  The only thing that doesn't seem to be supported is the WinModem.  If
you go for a ThinkPad, I'd recommend getting it without the IBM 10/100
Etherjet Cardbus adapter and buy one that has more support in the linux
community.  I'm just about to make the change from a 390X to an A20 model
and I'll post my results later to let everyone know how it goes.

Jon Erickson
NEI College of Technology