On 4 Oct 00, at 12:03, Mark Phillips wrote:

> A couple of related questions:
>
>    1. If I got a Dell Inspiron 7500 preloaded with Windows (and with,
>       say, a 20GB hard drive), and then tried to install Linux on it
>       myself, can anyone tell me what kind of experience I'd be in
>       for?  I've installed Linux on a lot of desktops and servers but
>       never any laptops, so I'm OK with putzing with it a bit, but if
>       it'll take me a week to get X up and running, for example, then
>       I'd rather pay someone else to do it.  Also, I don't want to
>       have to spend a lot of time in advance checking and
>       double-checking the specs to make sure that all the hardware
>       will work with Linux.

/bin/thar > done that

Insperion 7500 w/W98 preinst on 25G hd, PMagic W98 -> 18G Stuck using
win apps(Autocad & MSOrf.. at work), RH 6.2 and X up and running in
an afternoon (had it at the installfest at real-time, scratched RH,
trying to get Debian Potatoe set up now.

Let me know if you decide to go this route, I have a couple of links
here somewhere that had the info on the soundcard & video.

Jay