On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 04:58:40PM -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:
> Of course the unix client doesn't have a way to send a CTRL-ALT-DEL, so
> every time my Windows workstation meets it's maker I have to switch the
> keyboard over and finger it manually.

Under X, I just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and it works just fine.  This all
assumes that the Winders machine is still able to talk to the rest of
the world.

> If you're considering using BO, don't.  Remember why it was released, and
> who released it.  It may be 100% clean, but I wouldn't trust CDC to not
> have put something nasty in it.
>
> VNC is only good over a local network, I use it over DSL only in a pinch.
> PCAnywhere is much better suited to slower lines, it has better
> compression and optimization for low-speed.  Also, the windows server is
> terribly inefficient because they don't have access to all the API's.  The
> unix server is much faster, so if you can you should run the server on
> unix and VNC in from the windows machine.  It's unseeming, but faster.

I actually have reasonably good response using VNC over compressed
SSH.  Using my 144 k IDSL connection, a full 1024x768 screen with
minimal colors paints in probably 2-3 seconds.

Someone else asked about instructions.  From home, I just ssh (-C)
into my Linux box at work.  Then running vncviewer from that box to a
Winders box on the network sends the output to my display at home due
to ssh's built in X redirection.

There is also a way to use ssh's port redirection to do the same
thing.  I believe it is documented in the FAQ on VNC's web site,
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc.

> Adam Maloney
> Systems Administrator
> Sihope Communications