C> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
>> BUT I'm having one show-stopper that keeps me from switching over.
>> Gnome doesn't seem to have a nice modem manager like KPPP (they
>> have a modem lights applet, but it doesn't do any modem or
>> connection config, so is pretty losing by comparison).

Advice removed....

C> IOW, you're not learning how to use your system if you're relying on
C> KPPP.  If you're using Linuxconf, you're submitting yourself to yet
C> another crutch.  Weene yourself off of these tools, as they will stop
C> you from "switching over."

Thanks for the advice.  I accept the argument above.  My only response
is that there are a lot of things for linux users to comprehend.
There are a bunch of other things I'm digging into right now that
interest me more.

We all have to make our different choices about what is worth our
time.  Personally, getting the right arguments to pppd just doesn't
interest me that much, compared with the other things I could spend
hours on.  kppp works, and debugging failed connections isn't one of
the things that floats my boat.

One end of the spectrum is made up of people who want to use Windows
98 and have everything done for them.  The other end of the spectrum
is people like Linus, who want to write the whole operating system.
Most of us are somewhere in between....

Best,