    TW> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
    >> BUT I'm having one show-stopper that keeps me from switching
    >> over.  Gnome doesn't seem to have a nice modem manager like
    >> KPPP (they have a modem lights applet, but it doesn't do any
    >> modem or connection config, so is pretty losing by comparison).

    TW> Hmmm. My Helix-Gnome setup includes v 1.2.3 of "Modem Lights
    TW> Applet" which is dialing my ISP quite nicely.

The difference is that  Modem Lights really isn't a comprehensive
application for managing modem/ppp communications.  It's an applet
that lets you view Modem status.  And it lets you invoke a script
(ppp-on, ppp-off).  But as far as I could tell (I might have missed
something), it doesn't help you configure those scripts.

On the other hand, the kppp application not only helps you track modem
usage, it also helps set up connections.  And it easily handles
connections to multiple ISPs.  This seems like something modem lights
really isn't up to.  Or is it?  Do you have a way to handle multiple
dial-ups with modem lights?

It's just the difference between a user friendly app and an applet
with a bunch of stuff left as an exercise to the reader.  I'm willing
to do that sometimes --- after all, i use linux, not windows, but in
this case it seems like a useless step backwards for me to take.

Best,