On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Clay Fandre wrote:

[combining from two messages...]

> As long as they aren't running on the same port. You can have as many
> different types of web servers if they use their own port number, but if
> you want them all to use the default port (80), then you have to use
> virtual hosts with only one server running. (preferable Apache) Why
> wouldn't you want to use Apache for all of them anyway???

> If you really need to run 2 different web servers (for whatever
> reason) and have it use port 80, you could always do a redirect from
> your virtual domain on port 80 to a different port, like 81. Or else
> you can look into the proxy capabilities of apache. Then run your
> non-apache server on a different port (81) and proxy it. Just a few
> ideas.

I'd prefer not to have to run it on a different port. That was the first
thing I thought of, and it's so annoying. No one would remember to type
the :8080 or whatever...

The proxy solution sounds interesting.

What I was thinking might work is some sort of DNS hack or something. You
can already have Apache look like a ton of different hosts at once, as
long as they are legal hosts...so, I am wondering if I could configure the
computer as multipe domain names, then pass one of the domains off to the
other server...

The reason I'm interested in using AOLserver is because there's a great
deal of software from ArsDigita which has been created to do a lot of what
I want to do for one of the sites I have as a twinkle in my eye...It would
require quite a bit of customization, but it'd be better than re-writing
most of it from scratch in PHP...

Luke