Luke Francl said:
> What I was thinking might work is some sort of DNS hack or something. You
> can already have Apache look like a ton of different hosts at once, as
> long as they are legal hosts...

Actually, it's not DNS related at all...

There are two ways you can do virtual hosts in Apache:  By IP (the
traditional way) or by name.

IP-based virtual hosts require you to assign a separate IP address for each
distinct host.  This has the distinct advantage of always working for all
clients.

Name-based virtual hosts are marginally more complex to set up (you need one
extra command in httpd.conf to tell apache that you're using this method),
but their primary drawback is that they're dependent upon the client sending
a Host: header, which was not added to the HTTP spec until version 1.1.
This is easy enough to work around (have a default top page to catch HTTP 1.0
clients, ask them where they intended to go, and redirect them to the
appropriate path; and only use relative paths in your links), but at a slight
cost of inconvenience for users with old browsers.

> so, I am wondering if I could configure the
> computer as multipe domain names, then pass one of the domains off to the
> other server...

How about setting up apache on port 80, AOL server on 81 (or wherever),
configure apache for virtual servers of whichever flavor, and having apache
issue redirects for requests into the server you want AOL handling?  (Doing
this for the top-level index or selected pages is trivial.  Doing it for all
requests to that hostname may be more complex; I don't know offhand...)

Another option:  If you're doing IP-based virtual hosts and you have an
ipchains packet filter in place, you should be able to do this with port
forwarding.  (Redirect packets for aol.host:80 to aol.host:81.)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+