Jason DeStefano wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Bob Tanner wrote:
>

> > What do you mean?
> >
> > If you got a job you love, money isn't everything.
> >
> i'll assume sarcasm but I also have to vent...
>
> <VENT>
>
> Call me jaded but i used to think that money wasn't everything.
> But then I started meeting people who had been in the
> industry for 5-10 years that didnt know a leg from a breast
> getting twice (or more) my salary. When I have to work with
> incompetant people knowing that I knew more in college than they
> do now its hard for money no not become a factor.
>
> Who here would continue to love their job if they knew their
> co-worked was getting paid $30K more to do the same job?
>
> i've always said, you can lower my salary if you agree to
> lower everyone elses in the industry too (ie. most of us
> are overpaid for the amount of work we do..and some are
> underpaid for the work. those people should switch jobs.)
>
> Cheers!
>
> </VENT>

I think it's a matter of tradeoffs.  I could quit today and
make $20K more per year, work 10 hours less per week, and shave 30
minutes off my drive time.  I'm not willing to do this
because I make enough money to do the things I want and I get to
work with Linux all day doing 50% admin and 50% development.
The latter is extremely important to me.  The thought of ever
having to deal with Windows again makes me ill, and I have a
(possibly goofy) feeling that I am on the right side of things
when I work with Linux.  Whoo Hoo, saddle up my white horse and
let's bring free software to the poor, the disenfranchised, the
floridians....

Of course if you paid me half of what I currently make my ethical
purity may go right out the window.