I think it's not more of the noise, but the feel, the noisy keyboards
genearly have a better feel, of something actualy hapening when you type..
plus some of us have to look at a 2nd source of information when they
type, and can't look at the screen to see what they just typed.. it's the
full feedback thing.. plus, from what I've seen, most of the soft-key
keypads can be sticky, just low-quality crap.. makes it hard to type on.
at work I have an old IBM AT thing, with the removeable keycaps, I pop all
the caps off, and dishwasher them everyonce in a while.. I don't
dishwasher the whole keyboard tho..

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)