Not exactly Linux but since you have FreeBSD on a laptop maybe you can help.  I
can't seem to get the PCMCIA to work properly.  I enables the service and the
kernel sees my NIC (3c589) but says the configuration failed.  It's a 56k/10bT
combo card by the way.

Any suggestions on what to try or where I should go for documentation about this
beast?

Thanks,
Charlie