>>>>> "cf" == Charles Fulton <cf352197 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu> writes:

cf> Not exactly Linux but since you have FreeBSD on a laptop maybe you
cf> can help.  I can't seem to get the PCMCIA to work properly.  I
cf> enables the service and the kernel sees my NIC (3c589) but says
cf> the configuration failed.  It's a 56k/10bT combo card by the way.

You'll need to make certain there isn't some minor revision code on
the model number.  My 3C589 card claims to be a "Megahertz 589E".
I've got the following in my /etc/pccard.conf file:

# 3Com Megahertz 3CCE589E* 10 Mbps LAN PC Card -SLF
card "3Com" "Megahertz 589E"
        # orig: config 0x1 "ep0" 10
        config 0x1 "ep0" 3
        insert echo 3Com Megahertz Ethernet card inserted
        insert /etc/pccard_ether ep0
        remove echo 3Com Megahertz Ethernet card removed
        remove /sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

I don't recall why I'd started using the second "config" line instead
of the first.  If I remember correctly, I'd booted Win98, checked the
device configuration and found the 589 to be using IRQ 10, used it for
a while, then the card stopped working, booted Win98 again, found the
card was using IRQ 3, modified /etc/pccard.conf, and it's been happy
ever since.

-Scott