On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 04:23:40PM -0500, Andy Zbikowski wrote:
> The only beef I have agnist Corel's Office 2000 is that it runs on
> top of wine (unless they've changed that and I haven't heard about
> it) Yup, wine, it's not even native! They were so happy with how it
> ran in wine that that's how they ship it. ew ew ew ew ew.

Wine is native.  Wine is a native linux implementation of windows API.
There are many advantages to wine...

From the FAQ on Corel's website[1]:

    Q: Is Corel using Wine to port WordPerfect Office 2000 and Corel
    graphics applications to Linux?

    A.  Wine allows us to quickly migrate our Windows applications to
    Linux. Porting our applications using a native Linux windowing
    toolkit such as Qt[2] or GTK+[3] would be a huge undertaking
    requiring many years of development. Wine has allowed us to move
    our major applications to Linux in a matter of months. At the same
    time, it provides good performance and integration with other
    Linux applications.

    Q. Is Wine slower than native applications?

    A.  Wine is not necessarily slower than a native Linux application
    or the same application running on Windows. When running PE format
    EXE and DLL files, Wine executes the instructions as native code.
    While the performance of some API functions may be slower because
    Wine's implementation may not be as efficient as Windows or native
    toolkits, some functions are actually faster due to better
    implementation in Wine or the underlying Linux operating system.

> And no, they did not use winelib to port it, it is a windows biniary
> running under wine. So basically, it's a mislabled box. Someone
> should sue Corel for false advertising!

From the FAQ on Corel's website[1]:

    Q. Are you using the same versions of Corel applications that you
    ship for Windows?

    A.  The applications that we currently ship are not identical to
    the Windows versions.  They have been "tuned" for Linux, meaning
    that certain Windows-specific features not implemented in Wine
    have been removed or modified, and some Linux-specific features
    have been added.  However, the applications are compiled from the
    same source code base as the Windows versions.

> Check out ApplixWare 5.0 for Linux. It costs less, is completely
> native, (It uses GTK!!!), and the filters are great.

Applixware is cool, yes.  Just don't discredit Corel's product because
they chose to take the "easy path" and use the same source tree for
the Linux version of word perfect that they use for Windows.  I raise
my glass of "Free Beer" to the Corel team for all the hard work
they've done on the Wine project and for bringing a major software
title to the Linux/*NIX world.  This opens the doors for other
companies who are faced with the question "To Linux, or not to Linux."

-------
FOOTNOTES
1. http://linux.corel.com/support/wine_faq.htm
2. http://www.troll-tech.com