On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Bob W. Anderson wrote:

> Corel now has its new Office for Linux on the market for about $110.
> It includes Word Perfect, Quattro, and Paradox!  This seems like a
> really good deal.
>
> Does this seem all that good to any of your with more intimate
> knowledge?

IIRC, the way that Corel ported its office suite to Linux was simply to
use the WINE libraries. How horribly ineffective! I haven't personally
played around with it, so I'll stop shooting my mouth off now.

I do, however, own a copy of WP8 for Linux, and I have a 'borrowed' copy
of ApplixWare 5 installed too. My basic recommendation is this: buy
Applix. It costs less (~$70?), it's GTK+/GNOME native, it's fast, it's
relatively bug-free. It lacks a couple features, but all in all it's done
The Right Way(tm). WP8 was done in Motif, and it doesn't really work very
smoothly. The interface is kinda difficult to deal with, and printing is
too hard to set up.

Pacem in Terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock