isla0005 at tc.umn.edu said:
> When I telnet to my machine from outside using the IP address,
> I cannot login as a root although I supply the correct password.
> Is there something I am doing wrong? I use "root" as login and
> my root password.

Many systems are configured to disallow remote login by root.  (Incidentally,
telnet sends everything over the network in plaintext.  If you've tried this
over the internet, you should probably change your root password, just in
case someone with a packet sniffer was sitting on your route and saw the
current one.  If you can, install ssh and use that instead of telnet.)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+