On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Chuck Milam wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 isla0005 at tc.umn.edu wrote:
>
> > When I telnet to my machine from outside using the IP address, I
> > cannot login as a root although I supply the correct password. Is
> > there something I am doing wrong? I use "root" as login and my root
> > password.
>
> Really?  Hey, what's the IP address of that machine?  ;-)

Very funny.

The problem is that root logins through telnet are disabled by default on
your system. This is a good thing! If you must use telnet (and you don't,
btw), then you'll need to use your regular account and then 'su' to root
from there. Don't do this!!

Install ssh and banish telnet logins forever. You didn't say what distro
you're using, but let us know and we can offer specific instructions on
installing OpenSSH.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/