By default you can't login as root via telnet because it's insecure.  In
your /etc/ttys (?) there are certain ttys that are defined as being
"secure".  The pseudo-ttys for telnet are not included.

Use ssh.

ftp://ftp.ssh.com/pub/ssh/ssh-1.2.30.tar.gz is current
or ftp.openssh.com for openSSH.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications