[VANILLA-L:434] Re: Fwd: Continuum

> Unforunately he says that it now takes 45+ seconds to get the MOTD
> when he is ppp'd locally to Real Time. At his old ISP it took only
> 15-20 seconds for the MOTD.

During the connection stage just before displaying the MOTD, check to see if
the RX LED on the modem shows constant activity, fragmented activity, or a long
delay before activity.  So if you plot it over time, which of the following does
it match best ...

	1) RX:  - ------------------------------
	   TX: - -         -         -          -

	2) RX:  - --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --
	   TX  - -          -           -       -

	3) RX:  -                     ----------
	   TX: - -                        -     -

	4) RX:  - --  --  --  --          --  --
	   TX: - -          -            -      -

If (1), then I don't know what the problem is, but it seems that the transfer
is slowed by the modem.  The key point here is constant RX activity.

If (2), then I'd guess your modem might have severe data compression and perhaps
it should be disabled to see if it works better.  The key point here is RX gaps
with a rhythm to them.  Can also suggest network congestion.

If (3), then I'd guess that the Netrek server is performing a reverse name
translation on the IP address and is finding that your name server is less
responsive than the name server that the customer previously used.  Make sure
the IP address actually does have a reverse translation.  The key point here
is the long delay after initial connection handshake before the MOTD text is
sent.

If (4), then I'd guess a flow control problem with either your modems or the
customer modem.   The key point here is the big gap in RX traffic rhythm
followed by a TX flash that restarts the RX traffic.

Above all, measure it carefully yourself.

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800