Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2847] The r.g.n ejection debate

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 03:21:40PM -0500, Jeffrey Nowakowski wrote:
> Tom Holub <doosh@best.com> wrote:
>
> > The reality of that is that once you're no longer playing pickup, netrek
> > no longer becomes something you prioritize, and your attendance at INL
> > games drops, eventually to zero in most cases.
>
> Well that's an open question.

Well, no, it isn't.  There are plenty of examples.

> There are lots of reasons why they
> could have stopped, which I gave last time.  If they can't make a game
> every week or two then I guess they just don't want to play netrek.

It's not a question of "making a game every week or two".  It's a question
of choices.  Most of us have different activities competing for limited
time; when a particular class of activity doesn't happen very often, it
gets deprioritized.  To take a personal example, when I had a regular
partner I played bridge several times a week--not only with my regular
partner, but online and with other friends.  My regular partner left
town and I now haven't played a serious bridge game in a year or more.

The same thing happens with netrek; when it's no longer something you
think about doing on an ad-hoc basis, it winds up becoming something
you don't think about doing.
 -Tom